Thursday, September 5, 2013

I want to pig out!

I woke up starving, and I hate that. I want to devour everything in my fridge, actually in the freezer because that is where the pancakes are. Instead of giving into this temptation, I put a post-it note on my pantry that says, "you are not really hungry, drink water." I am not sure that will help me all day, but it helped this morning. I made myself scrambled eggs (one whole egg and one egg white) and I put a wedge of garlic and herb laughing cow cheese in them. Only 135 calories for that. And I forced down an orange... don't love fruit but I am eating more of it because I need to. Under 200 calories for my breakfast which is better than what I wanted. I am still dreaming of the stack of pancakes with strawberries and syrup that I wanted to have, which would have cost me about 500 calories. Pancakes are just something I can never eat just one of, kind of like pizza. So I try to avoid them on days where I feel so hungry.

Anyway, I am trying to get back on track from having gained 15 pounds since Christmas. Yes seriously, 15. Stop right there... those of you that know me are rolling your eyes. I know I am not "fat" by society standards, but my body composition (aka body fat and muscle percentages) are off the chart in the wrong direction. I cannot fit into any of my adorable jeans I bought last fall or any of my shorts and capris. I don't like how I feel and my muscle tone is gone. It was a stressful 7 months the first part of this year and I wasn't eating well and I wasn't exercising at all.

So now it is time to get back on track. When I get these urges to pig out I try little things like post-it notes on the fridge or the pantry door. They usually say things like: "Drink water! You are probably not hungry at all!" or "Choose a fruit or vegetable." or "Don't go in here!" It may sound stupid but it makes me stop and think about the choice I am about to make. Most of the time when we think we are hungry we are actually thirsty, so grab water first. My rule of thumb is to drink a large glass of water before I put any food in my mouth, and this goes for all meals and snacks... water first! So instead of giving into the temptation to pig out, I urge you to try the post-it notes and drink water before any else goes in your mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment